If you were taken ill on a package holiday due to food poisoning or were sick because the water in the swimming pool at the hotel was dirty you can claim compensation. This means you may be able to make a personal injury claim in the UK even though you suffered illness abroad.
The majority of people who suffer with illness whilst on holiday are unsure as to why they became ill. Typically holidaymakers are likely to suffer illness if they encounter any of these problems at the hotel:
- Food being served luke-warm rather than hot
- Food not being cooked thoroughly
- Food that has been reheated or left standing for far too long
- Salads and fruit washed in tap water
- Infected or ill food handlers touching and preparing food whilst not wearing appropriate hygiene equipment
- Flies and insects contaminating food
- Birds and other animals contaminating food service areas
- Swimming pools not effectively treated to allow bacteria to spread
Regardless of what caused your illness, your tour operator is responsible for any of the above failings and should you fall ill or sick as a consequence of poor quality food, poor food handling practices or poor standards of hygiene at your hotel then you are entitled to receive compensation.
It does not matter whether you became ill on holiday in Spain or sick during a holiday in Tunisia our specialist experts can help you whichever country you were in. They will give you free advice and explain the claims process to you. You could be surprised at just how much compensation you may be entitled to receive and just how easy the whole claims process is.
People are often unaware that they can claim for food poisoning compensation that’s happened overseas once they are back home in the UK. If you’re uncertain whether you have a claim, or what you can do to help make a successful case, see our blog on how a holiday food poisoning compensation claim works.
If you or your holiday party have suffered food poisoning on holiday our No Win, No Fee Solicitors can help you with your claim for compensation. Call us on freephone 0800 916 9046 or contact us online.