26 January 2016
Former Norfolk Boarding School Housefather On Trial for Alleged Abuse
The former housefather of Sheringham Court, a Norfolk boarding school, has gone on trial at Ipswich Crown Court accused of non-recent sex abuse.
Kenneth Wells is accused of indecently assaulting a young boy who was just 13 at the time. Wells worked at the school during the 1970s and the alleged offences are said to have taken place between November 1975 and November 1976.
Wells, 78, lost his job at Sheringham Court after he was charged with two counts of gross indecency against another pupil.
In the continuing trial at Ipswich Crown Court, Wells has denied two counts of indecent assault and one count of serious sexual assault.
Allegations of Abuse Will Always be Taken Seriously
The court heard how Wells continued to visit the boy long after he had been dismissed from the school.
A jury of six men and six women were told that, when Wells became a lorry driver after losing his position as Sheringham Court housemaster, he would visit the boy at his home address during the school holidays, telling his mother that he was one of his “star pupils”.
They also heard how, after asking to be shown around the local area, Wells allegedly took the boy to a hotel and sexually assaulted him.
It is currently being reported in the media that, in 2014, Wells was convicted of abusing another pupil at the Norfolk boarding school, a trial which attracted considerable media coverage. It was as this point that the complainant in the current case contacted police.
He said that he had been “too ashamed” to tell anyone about what allegedly happened to him and that he just “wanted someone who understood the situation”.
As abuse lawyers, we fully understand how much courage it takes for survivors of abuse to speak out. Over the last few years, more and more brave survivors have found such courage as they’ve become confident that police will take their allegations seriously.
At Slater and Gordon, we have the UK’s most experienced team of abuse solicitors and we are currently representing over 800 survivors of abuse, many of whom were abused at boarding schools and other institutions – and by people in positions of trust.
We’ll always take your case seriously and any communication with us will be treated in strict confidence.
Hywel Thomas is an associate personal injury solicitor specialising in child abuse claims at Slater and Gordon Lawyers UK.
For a free and completely confidential consultation, call us anytime 24/7 on 0800 916 9046 or contact us online.
Related PostsRSS feed
Friday 5th January 2018
Thursday 13th July 2017
Tuesday 27th June 2017