01 December 2015
Oddest Things Spilt on UK Roads
It’s something we all dread to hear when on our travels – “the M-whatever is closed due to an overturned lorry” and we’re always fascinated to find out what has been spilt. Well here’s a quick run-down of some of the oddest things to be spilt on our roads.
1. Lager – In 2011 a lorry turned over and let loose hundreds of cans of lager all over the M6 at Coventry. Highways England had to shut the motorway for four hours and pick up every can by hand.
2. Baked beans – They may be the most loved tinned item in the UK, but they’re a right pain when they end up all over the M11 in Essex.
3. Frozen salmon – Ten tonnes of frozen salmon were strewn across both lanes of the M62 in 2013 when an HGV overturned. It happened in the middle of the night and Highways England worked until the early hours to clean up the fishy mess.
4. Live chickens – A lorry transporting live chickens crashed into a safety barrier on the M62 in Greater Manchester, sadly killing many fowl, but also releasing thousands into the local area. Around 2,000 birds were recaptured but many managed to flee the scene.
5. 20 tonnes of Marmite – Love it or hate it? Well you’d be pretty angry if you were stuck on the M1 in Yorkshire in 2011. The lorry turned over and the Marmite was let loose across the carriageway. The road was closed for many hours as the black goo was scraped up.
Overturned lorries and spillages on our road aren’t that common, but when they do occur they can cause some serious accidents.
Sometimes it’s not even an overturned lorry that causes spills on the road. There have been cases of leaking tankers, or unsecured loads coming away from vehicles and crashing onto the road.
If you have been in a road traffic accident due to a spilled load or an overturned vehicle you might be able to claim compensation from the driver’s insurance company. If an unidentified vehicle spills something, then you could be eligible to claim under the Motor Insurance Bureau’s untraced drivers scheme.
Slater and Gordon can help you claim compensation for any injuries you may have sustained in a car crash, whether there was a spill or not. Call us on freephone 0800 916 9046 for a free consultation, or contact us online and we will call you.
Related PostsRSS feed
Friday 29th March 2019
Monday 4th December 2017