Back to Blog

0 stars Article rating

Accidents at Work – What is RIDDOR?

RIDDOR stands for the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations which govern who must report accidents at work, and how they must be reported.

Introduced in 1995 and updated in 2013, RIDDOR places a duty upon employers, people in control of work premises and the self-employed to report certain work-related accidents and injuries, as well as certain industrial diseases and dangerous occurrences in the workplace.

The information gathered by RIDDOR reports enables the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) to gather information about workplace accident risks and to investigate serious incidents. This allows the HSE to provide better advice about health and safety at work.

RIDDOR reports should be reported online at the HSE website.

What Must be Reported?

All fatal accidents at work must be reported under RIDDOR.

For non-fatal injuries, a RIDDOR report must be completed if the injury is a reportable injury and has arisen from a work-related accident.

The HSE website includes a full list of reportable incidents, which include:

  • Injuries requiring employees to be absent – or unable to perform their normal work duties – for seven consecutive days
  • All injuries to members of the public, or people who are not on duty, that require hospital treatment and have arisen from an accident on work premises
  • Any injury which requires a hospital stay of more than 24 hours

Certain industrial diseases and “dangerous occurrences” must also be reported – full details can be found on the HSE website.

What Must RIDDOR Records Include?

As well as submitting a RIDDOR report, employers must also keep records of any incidents covered by RIDDOR. Such records allow employers to collect sufficient information to inform them about – and help manage – health and safety risks at work.

Employers should, ideally, keep a copy of the online RIDDOR form once submitted. If they do not keep a copy, then their records must include:

  • The date and method of reporting
  • The date, time and location of the accident
  • Personal details of the people involved
  • Brief description of the nature of the accident

Records must be kept for a minimum of three years after the date of the last incident in the book, but its good practice to keep them for longer in the event of any accident at work claims that are brought by an employee.

If you are unsure whether a work accident in which you have been injured has been reported, the HSE can check this out for you. If you were injured at work and are unsure about whether you can claim compensation for your injuries, you should seek the advice of an expert personal injury lawyer who can help you every step of the way.

Matthew Tomlinson is a Senior Personal Injury Solicitor specialising in work accident compensation claims at Slater and Gordon Lawyers UK.

For expert legal advice about making an accident at work claim, call our No Win No Fee Personal Injury Lawyers 24/7 on freephone 0800 916 9046 or contact us online.


Take a second to rate this article

Rate an article

Thank you!