Back to Blog

0 stars Article rating

Did You Know You Can Claim For Overseas Road Traffic Accidents in England?

If you’ve been injured in a road traffic accident whilst abroad, you may assume you cannot bring a claim for compensation in England or Wales once you return home, but that may not be the case.

If you are involved in a road traffic accident in Europe, whether as a driver, passenger or pedestrian, you can normally pursue a claim in your home Court. European regulations and rulings mean that you can sue a European insurer in English or Welsh Courts. This means you benefit from the English rules of procedure and have more understanding of the process and timescales involved in bringing a case.

Even if you find out that the other driver was not insured, or the local police could not trace him, there may well be a path to justice for you once you are back home, as the body known as the Motor Insurer’s Bureau are obliged to deal with such European cases.

This is a complex area of law, and it is vital to make sure you have expert advice from a Solicitor who is experienced in dealing with cross border issues, such as our Accidents Abroad team.

If you can pursue a claim here, often the local law will be applied to your case by the English judge. In some instances, local laws can be more favourable to the injured party; for example, France has a different system to compensate road traffic victims which does not look at fault in the same way as our Courts.

What if You Had an Accident Whilst Travelling Outside Europe?

If you have been injured as a result of a road traffic accident elsewhere in the world it may still be possible to pursue a claim for compensation here. Various factors are taken into account, including the nationality of the responsible driver, so it is advisable to seek prompt legal assistance to understand your options.

Slater and Gordon Lawyers are experts in securing compensation in all types of holiday accident claims.

Compensation for Victim of Quad Bike Accident Abroad

Slater and Gordon are representing Holly Raper from Preston, Lancashire, who at the age of 21 sustained a catastrophic neurological injury when she came off a quad bike whilst working on a farm on King Island, Tasmania.

Our Accidents abroad team have successfully helped hundreds of travellers and holidaymakers pursue successful claims here, even though their accidents happened elsewhere. Recently, Slater and Gordon Travel and International Litigation Lawyer, Kieran Mitchell, secured half a million pounds in compensation as a settlement on behalf of a factory worker injured in a road traffic accident in the Netherlands. You can read more on this case here.

Joanne Berry is a Senior Personal Injury Solicitor specialising in Travel Litigation Claims at Slater and Gordon Lawyers UK.

Call us for a free consultation on freephone 0800 916 9046 24/7 or from abroad on +44 20 7657 155. Alternatively contact us online and let us know when and where we can call you.

Take a second to rate this article

Rate an article

Thank you!