22 July 2015
Asbestos Moves the Ladyboys of Bangkok From Edinburgh Home
The dangers of asbestos affect us all alike. If asbestos is found in your property – in the attic of your home, or the walls of the building where you work – it is essential that great lengths are taken to ensure that no-one is exposed to asbestos fibres and dust.
Recently we blogged on the news of asbestos in Buckingham Palace, which has seen many headlines question whether Her Majesty will safely be able to reside in the palace whilst renovations take place.
The dangers of exposure to asbestos are a real life threat to everyone, and yet the lack of awareness of its cancer-causing properties sees hundreds of thousands of people diagnosed with asbestos-related illnesses like Mesothelioma around the world every year.
In current headlines, the Ladyboys of Bangkok have been forced from their stage home of 17 years by an apparent asbestos contamination discovered at the Fountainbridge Brewery site in Edinburgh. The Ladyboys have been one of the longest-running shows at the Edinburgh Fringe festival, but the site on which they were due to perform has been sealed off due to the discovery of asbestos.
A city council spokesperson stated, “The council has taken immediate measures to close off the area to the public. These will remain in place.
“Initial indications suggest there is asbestos on the site but that the risk of harm is low.
“While we await detailed analysis from independent consultants we are taking additional precautions in order to maintain the safety of the site. We are also working with users to make arrangements for temporary relocation.
“We continue to work with event organisers to secure a suitable alternative site, and further details will be announced in due course.”
Mesothelioma is a form of lung cancer caused by continuous exposure to asbestos dust and fibres. Asbestos was initially used because of its fire-retardant, insulating and corrosion protection properties. When the link between asbestos exposure and diseases such as Mesothelioma became apparent, asbestos was no longer used in commercial buildings in the UK. However, if your building was constructed before 1999, there is a chance it contains asbestos in the walls.
Disturbing otherwise concealed asbestos can have fatal consequences, and so if you suspect asbestos is in your property, specialists should be consulted to survey, remove and dispose of the contamination.
Fortunately, with the discovery of asbestos at the Fountainbridge Brewery site in Edinburgh, the reported low risk likely suggests that no members of the public, staff, or Ladyboys of Bangkok have been exposed to the asbestos.
Slater and Gordon Personal Injury Senior Litigation Executive, Karyn McPhee, said, “All exposures to asbestos is dangerous and no matter who you are it is essential to register this exposure.”
If you think you may have been exposed to asbestos call the expert Personal Injury Solicitors at Slater and Gordon Lawyers on 0800 844 0275 or contact us online.
Take a second to rate this article
Related PostsRSS feed
Friday 2nd March 2018
Thursday 20th April 2017