Back to Blog

0 stars Article rating

Do You Need Permission to Take a Child Abroad?

You were there at their birth, raised them, clothed and fed them, and might even be fond of them, but are you allowed to take your child abroad without permission?

It’s not commonly known, but if you are separated and you would like to take your child (or children) on holiday, you will need to notify the other parents of your plans.

It doesn’t matter how long the time abroad is, whether a family holiday or something more permanent, the same rule applies: If you want to take your child anywhere outside England and Wales you are required, by law, to get consent from those who share Parental Responsibility.

So, for example, if you would like to take your child on holiday abroad and your ex has Parental Responsibility, you will need your ex’s consent. In the event that they unreasonably refuse to give their permission, an application to the Court can be made.

It is almost always in everyone’s, including children’s, interest to discuss holiday arrangements in advance so that an understanding is reached that suits all involved, and from a legal point of view avoids concerns over contact and Child Abduction, negating the need for Family Solicitors and applications to the Court.

Read Slater and Gordon Family Solicitor Cara Nuttall’s discussion of Child Residence following Separation.

There is an exception, though: when a Court Order states where a child should live (formerly known as a Residence Order) the Children Act 1989 permits the ordered parent to take the child outside England and Wales for up to a month without the other parent or court’s consent.

Separation matters aside, trips abroad for children are an enlightening experience, whether visiting family and friends, or taking a short trip somewhere new. Should circumstances arise when consent is refused and you would like to appeal to the Court, Slater and Gordon’s Family Solicitors can help.

Slater and Gordon Lawyers is home to the largest team of family lawyers in the country with offices across England & Wales. We offer flexible pricing and fixed fee family law services, and our dynamic team of resourceful Family Solicitors will work effortlessly to find the right solution for you.

For family law legal advice or to speak with a Family Solicitor call freephone 0800 916 9055 or contact us online and tell us when to call you.

Slater and Gordon are a leading family law firm with offices in London, Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, Sheffield, Milton Keynes, Bristol, Derby, Merseyside, Cambridge, Edinburgh, Cardiff, Halifax, Newcastle, Wakefield & meeting rooms in Bramhall, Cheshire & in Hull, Yorkshire.

Take a second to rate this article

Rate an article

Thank you!