I wrote a blog recently after the successful conviction of a landlord who had repeatedly ignored warnings to provide a gas safety certificate for a property he owned, which resulted in the Court imposing a considerable fine.
I read with interest in a recent Fire Industry Association press release that another landlord was successfully prosecuted by Cambridge City Council and was fined £30,000.
This prosecution does not appear to have involved the statutory duty to the maintenance of gas appliances but instead a property which was rented out by the landlord for multiple occupancy and was found to be unsafe to the risk of fire and smoke.
The landlord appears to have been provided with ample time to maintain and upgrade the property. He failed to do so and Cambridge City Council should be commended for their robustness in subsequently prosecuting him resulting in the £30,000 fine.
I very much hope this is a sign of the times and I do hope other Councils and Local Authorities will follow suit. I have little doubt that they will and will in turn use whatever avenue they can to ensure that rental properties are maintained at an appropriate standard.
If we are to become a nation where property rental is the norm rather than the exception, we need to send a clear message to rogue landlords that little regard for the safety of tenants will not be tolerated.
Slater and Gordon Lawyers offer a free consultation for people injured in accidents through no fault of their own. Call freephone 0800 916 9046 24 hours 7 days a week or contact us online and we’ll be happy to help you.
Related blog: Landlords and Gas Safety Certificates.
Slater and Gordon UK are a leading personal injury law firm with offices in London, Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, Sheffield, Edinburgh, Cardiff, Milton Keynes, Merseyside, Bristol, Newcastle, Halifax, Wakefield, Derby, Cambridge & meeting rooms in Bramhall, Cheshire & in Hull.