Back to Blog

War Veteran Dies as a Result of Exposure to Asbestos

Mr Eric Catchpole who was a war veteran died on 5 April 2014 from the asbestos related lung cancer, Mesothelioma.

The 90 year old, great-grandfather from Lymington was exposed to asbestos lagging that was used to insulate the various pipes of the engine room during his time with the Royal Navy where he served as a stoker. 

An inquest was heard in Southampton and deputy coroner Gordon Denson recorded a death by industrial disease.  This was supported by Pathologist, Dr Norman who informed the inquest that Mr Catchpole’s lungs evidenced asbestos exposure as well as chronic bronchitis and emphysema.

On 12 March 2014 I blogged about how Mr William Moir-Porteous of Essex, who died from Mesothelioma in December 2013 as a result of his exposure to the deadly asbestos material whilst engaged with the Royal Navy in the 1950s. Mr Catchpole was in the same environment as Mr Moir-Porteous with sadly the same outcome.

All those people working with asbestos in the past should be alert to the fact that there is a high likelihood that they would have been exposed to some form of asbestos at some time throughout their service. Like many of the other services, the Royal Navy was aware that asbestos was a dangerous material but yet no protection, precautions or warnings of this deadly material or the consequences of exposure  to it  was were provided to the service people  personnel. 

This is an awful circumstance situation when you considering that these people were engaged to serve and protect their country and have now paid the ultimate price many years later.

Alison Kerr is a Personal Injury Solicitor specialising in Asbestos & Mesothelioma claims at Slater and Gordon Lawyers in London.

Slater and Gordon offer a free consultation for victims of asbestos related diseases and family members. Call freephone 0800 916 9046 or contact us online and we'll be happy to help.

If you believe you or a loved one have been exposed to asbestos fibres, dust or asbestos waste materials, we recommend registering any exposure as soon as possible on the Slater and Gordon Asbestos Register. Simply complete the form online or for assistance call Dominic Smith on 0161 383 3527 or freephone 0800 916 9046 to register your exposure.

Slater and Gordon is one of the largest law firms in the UK with over 1,200 staff and 18 offices in London, Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, Sheffield, Bristol, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Cambridge, Milton Keynes, Newcastle, Halifax, Wakefield & meeting rooms in Bramhall, Cheshire.