18 March 2014
Caretaker Died from Mesothelioma after Asbestos Exposure
Mr Graham Gale of Romsey in Hampshire died from malignant Mesothelioma, an asbestos related disease, an Inquest heard. Dr Balvinder Shoker who performed the post mortem confirmed the Mesothelioma.
During the inquest it was revealed that Mr Gale left school in 1968 to become a painter and decorator working on council houses at Townhill Park. In a statement provided by Mr Gale, the inquest heard that Mr Gale, “… recalls rubbing down guttering and pipes in preparation for them to be repainted. The majority of council homes had asbestos and a great deal of dust was created. I was never provided with a mask.”
The inquest also heard that Mr Gale worked at a primary school in Devon to maintain the school classrooms, his wife also worked with him, “My wife was working there at the time and she was assisting me. At the time I was unaware of the danger and at no time was I given any warnings to do with the dangers of asbestos. In my view I would have continued exposure.”
The death of Mr Gale is a sad reminder of the continued dangers working with asbestos materials.
Caretakers like Mr Gale who would have done many odd jobs around the school sites would have been regularly exposed to asbestos as a result of the work they performed. As described by Mr Gale, no protection, precautions or warnings about exposure to asbestos would have been provided.
Slater and Gordon Lawyers have represented many plumbers and other industrial workers who were exposed to asbestos at work and later developed an asbestos related disease, such as Mesothelioma.
If you or a loved one have been exposed to asbestos fibres, dust or asbestos waste materials, we recommend registering any exposure as soon as possible. Slater and Gordon maintain a National Asbestos Register, to register call Dominic Smith on 0161 383 3527 or freephone 0800 916 9046 or contact us online and we’ll be happy to help.
For asbestos health and safety information please visit the Health and Safety Executive.