Consultation document CD253 was released by the Health and Safety Executive on the 7 May 2013 inviting views on the revised approved Code Of Practice in relation to the workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992 and is set to end on 30 July 2013.
This is an important consultation due to the legal status of HSE guidance. Although following the guidance is not compulsory the advice from HSE is that if you do follow the guidance you will normally be doing enough to comply with the law.
The ACOP provides updated guidance on
• maintenance of the workplace,
• devices and systems,
• temperature on indoor workplaces,
• cleanliness and waste materials, floor and traffic routes,
• preventing falls and falling objects.
• access and exit points and
• washing and rest and changing facilities
All of which should be read and fully understood by any health and safety manager.
For those wishing to comment on the proposed ACOP guidance visit www.hse.gov.uk.
By Craig McAdam Principal Lawyer, Discipline and Regulatory Defence
To read more about Health & Safety in relation to workplace accidents.