Call us now on: 0161 830 9632
Contact us Existing clients

Civil law

Civil litigation and consumer rights

The law is here to ensure that everyone is treated fairly. If you’ve paid for a product or service that you believe fell short in some way, or perhaps have a dispute over money or a defective product, it may be worth talking to us. This doesn’t necessarily have to involve a massive sum of money. We handle civil litigation cases for all sorts of issues: from defective vehicles to below par building works or unpaid invoices.

Two friends having coffee

All you need to know about civil litigation

Slater and Gordon’s experienced solicitors are here to advise you on all aspects of dispute resolution. Call us on 0161 830 9632 or contact us and we’ll call you.

Talk to a specialist solicitor today

Contact us

Can civil litigation help with my consumer rights?

UK consumer law gives you significant rights to be treated reasonably when you pay for any product or service. If you believe that a product you’ve paid for is defective or counterfeit, or a service you’ve paid for was sub-standard, the law is on your side.

In the first instance, it’s always worth speaking to whoever provided the product or service to see if they’re willing to provide a refund or some other resolution that you find acceptable.

However, if they aren’t prepared to help resolve matters to your satisfaction, we may be able to begin civil litigation on your behalf.

Examples of where your consumer rights might have been breached include:

  • When something you’ve bought in a shop is faulty and you’re refused a refund
  • White goods or vehicles not being up to standard, defective or as advertised
  • When you’ve engaged a builder or another worker to do a job and they’ve left you with unfinished or defective work
  • When you’ve booked a package holiday that turned out to be not as described in the brochure

If you’ve paid good money for a product or service and feel that you’ve been ripped off, it may be worth talking to one of our experienced solicitors about civil litigation.

Call 0161 830 9632 or contact us and we’ll be happy to call you.

Can I claim for a holiday dispute?

We all look forward to special weekend breaks, and perhaps even a couple of weeks in the sun every year. It’s massively disappointing if the brochure promised you the holiday of a lifetime, but the reality was somewhat different.

Fortunately, if you’ve paid for any travel-related service, consumer law says that:

  • Where you’ve booked a package holiday, the hotel and facilities must be described accurately
  • The holiday must be of a reasonable standard, directly relating to how it was described, the price and the location
  • If you’ve paid by credit card when booking your holiday and something goes wrong, you may be able to claim your money back from the credit card company

Having said all of that, it may be harder to make a claim if you booked things like flights and hotels individually rather than through a package holiday company.

Even so, if a holiday or hotel stay has left you feeling let down, it’s always worth getting an opinion from an expert in consumer law to see if you may be entitled to receive some or all of your money back.

Call 0161 830 9632 to speak to a civil litigation solicitor or contact us and we’ll call you.

What else can a civil litigation solicitor help me with?

Under UK law, you’ve a formidable set of rights when it comes to everything from consumer rights to employment rights. Whether you’ve suffered losses through a consumer, employment or domestic issue - or even as the result of a personal injury – we're here to help uphold your rights. Our expertise covers all of these areas and more:

When you believe that the law is on your side, but you need expert help to get the justice you deserve, call us now on 0161 830 9632 or contact us and we’ll be happy to call you and discuss your options without obligation.

woman on a phone

Would you rather speak to us?

One of our friendly advisors would be happy to speak to you.

Call us for free on 0330 107 5052