The three principal money laundering offences under ss327-329POCA are targeted against people who it is believed have dealt with criminal property.
It Is An Offence To:
- Conceal, disguise, convert, transfer or remove from the jurisdiction criminal property
- Facilitate the acquisition, retention use or control of criminal property, and
- Acquire, use or possess criminal property.
Where charges of money laundering are brought the prosecution must prove that the property represents a person’s benefit from criminal conduct and that the person knew or suspected that the property constituted or represented such a benefit.
The definition of criminal property however has a wide interpretation and applies to dealings with the proceeds of any criminal offence anywhere in the world.
The maximum penalty for the principal money laundering offences is 14 years imprisonment.
We have successfully represented clients who have faced money laundering issues over a number of years and regularly advise as to the content of Suspicious Activity Reports that may need to be lodged with the Serious and Organised Crime Agency.
Lawyers Are Available 24/7 & Can Assist with:
- Advising those who are being investigated for money laundering offences
- Representing those who face prosecution for money laundering offences
- The need for and or content of Suspicious Activity Reports.
Call our Anti-Money Laundering Solicitors on freephone 0808 175 8000 or contact us online.
Slater and Gordon Lawyers is one of the UK's largest and well known law firms with offices in London, Manchester, Watford, Liverpool, Chester, Birmingham, Sheffield, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Cambridge, Milton Keynes, Preston, Wakefield and Wrexham.