Back to Our Experts
Principal Lawyer, Personal Injury
Richard is a Senior Personal Injury Lawyer at Slater and Gordon Lawyers in central London.
Richard specialises in high value and complex personal injury claims including Road Traffic Accidents, Employers Liability, Public Liability and Occupational Disease cases for institutional and private clients.
Richard has recovered £5m in compensation for clients within the last year. He has particular experience in head injury, major limb trauma and chronic pain cases. He also has expertise in Police health and safety issues and CICA and social security appeals.
Richard has supervisory responsibility for other Personal Injury Solicitors and Principal Lawyers and has been a Principal Lawyer himself since 2003.
Richards experience has involved complex Serious Injury Claims including:
Brain Injury Cases:
- £1.45m Compensation settlement for a 24 year old who suffered multiple injuries including a head injury in a Road Traffic Accident. Symptoms were atypical and considerable dispute as to whether the condition was psychiatric or due to organic brain injury.
- £1.2m Compensation recovered for a 22 year old who suffered head injuries in a motorcycle accident.
- £1.4m Compensation for a passenger in a car who sustained a brain injury.
- £750,000 Compensation for a woman suffering from hemiplegia caused by brain injury sustained in utero when her mother was involved in a road traffic accident when 30 weeks pregnant. Instructions were received some two decades after the accident.
- Police surveillance motorcyclist hit by a car resulting in a dislocated knee that became infected after surgery, eventually requiring an above knee amputation. Claims pursued against the motorist and the treating Hospital Trust. Gross compensation settlement of £1.23m, reducing to £875,000 after 50% contributory negligence reduction for the road traffic accident.
- £450,000 Compensation for 58 year old who suffered a below knee amputation who was able to return to work as a Traffic Officer with the Metropolitan Police.
- £900, Compensation for a young male who suffered a below knee amputation when knocked over when crossing a pedestrian crossing.
- Experience of other cases involving prosthetics and orthotics, including £150,000 compensation recovered for custom made shoes as part of a settlement for a women who sustained multiple foot fractures; £100,000 recovered for a carpenter who was provided with a titanium implant after he amputated part of his index finger; and £100,000 compensation for a mechanic who required a prosthetic eyeball after he lost an eye in an accident at work.
Fatal Accident Cases:
- £355,000 Compensation recovered for the widow of a chef killed in a cycling accident when hit by a lorry turning left at a junction.
- £350,000 Compensation settlement for the widower of a mother of 2 young children who was killed when she lost control of her car when it hit standing water on a dual carriageway caused by defective drainage.
- £200,000 Compensation for a Polish medical student killed by a motorist who drove onto the pavement.
- £115,000 Compensation for the widower of a women killed when she was hit by a vehicle being driven by a 92 year old which went off the road when he blacked out.
Employers & Public Liability Cases:
- £450,000 Compensation for a Police Officer who twisted her knee when her foot became caught between two doormats. The injury precipitated a mental breakdown.
- £550,000 Compensation for a builder who fell from height whilst using a ladder.
- £225,000 Compensation recovered at trial for a Police Officer who stubbed her toe on a fire extinguisher.
- Represented multiple Claimants who were infected with E. coli at Godstone Farm in Surrey.
- £150,000 Compensation for the manager of a pub in Richmond assaulted by a customer where it is alleged that inadequate security measures had been implemented to protect staff.
- Ongoing cases include a claim for a Police Officer who suffered multiple leg fractures in a training exercise as a result of an uncontrolled descent whilst abseiling, where an amputation is now to be carried out (value £700k+); a fatal accident claim for a cyclist on the Lands End to John O’Groats cycle ride; and a claim for multiple Police Officers injured in similar circumstances when practicing a personal safety technique.
Commendations from independent legal directories
- Chambers and Partners 2016: Richard has a "very good record of achieving excellent results in very challenging cases."
- Chambers and Partners 2017: "Richard's practice encompasses high-value catastrophic claims, with noted experience handling claims for seriously injured cyclists. He is also well versed in handling military law claims."
Richards television experience includes participation in a live studio debate on Channel 4 News on the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme and an interview on Sky News on reform of the CICA Scheme. Multiple radio interviews on issues such as the E. Coli outbreak at Godstone farm and on the dangers faced by cyclists from potholes. Richard has had coverage of cases and other commentary in various national and local newspapers and articles published in various Police and Trade Union publications.
Recent Testimonials for Richard Geraghty
“The team dealing with my claim were exceptional, I had regular contact and everything was explained. It made a very traumatic experience less horrendous.”
“I would like to say thank you Mr Geraghty very much and for keeping me informed about my case through phone calls and letters. I was pleased with the pleasant and professional approach by all the staff I came into contact with.”
Read All Slater & Gordon Testimonials
“I appreciated the good communication and high level of professional services.”