Back to Our Experts
Head of Class Actions and Group Litigation
Ben is responsible for Slater and Gordon's Class Actions and Group Litigation practices across Australia and the United Kingdom and is currently based in our London office.
As one of the most experienced class lawyers in Australia, Ben has achieved settlements approaching half a billion dollars. He specialises in complex multi-party disputes in all major practice areas, and his previous cases include shareholder class actions, trustee claims, large scale financial advice and mis-selling litigation and personal injury/institutional abuse claims.
Ben has developed strong relationships with institutional investors, claims managers, after-the-event insurers, and litigation funders in Australia and abroad. He has a strong understanding of the economics of complex group litigation, and will work with clients, funders and other stakeholders to develop innovative funding solutions that allow meritorious claims to be prosecuted at the lowest possible cost.
In managing the growth of Slater and Gordon's class actions practice, Ben is well aware of the reputational damage that can be inflicted on defendant companies and directors by spurious claims. He has ensured that every claim involves supportable allegations of genuine wrong-doing, and will likely produce a strong net return on his clients' assessed losses.
- Current: Manus Island Immigration Detention Centre (Personal Injury/False Imprisonment Class Action)
- 2016: Billabong International (Shareholder Class Action) - $45m settlement
- 2016: Newcrest Mining (Shareholder Class Action) - $36m settlement
- 2015: Fairbridge Farm (Institutional Abuse of UK Child Migrants) - $24m settlement and formal apology
- 2015: Trust Company/Australian Capital Reserve Collapse (Trustee Class Action) - $25m settlement
- 2013: GPT Group (Shareholder Class Action) - $75m settlement
- 2012: Nufarm (Shareholder Class Action) - $46.6m settlement
- 2012: Sigma Pharmaceuticals (Shareholder Class Action) - $57.5m settlement
- 2012: Centro Properties and Centro Rail (Shareholder Class Action) - $50m settlement
- 2010: Sandhurst Trustees/Fincorp Collapse (Trustee Class Action) - $29m settlement
- 2006: Westpoint Group (Financial Mis-Selling Group Litigation)
- 2005: Special Commission of Inquiry into Medical Research and Compensation Foundation (Ben represented the ACTU and asbestos victim support groups in the New South Wales Government's inquiry into James Hardie.)
- Group litigation
- Trustee claims
- Shareholder class action
- Mis-selling litigation
- Personal injury
- Abuse claims
- Ben has worked at Slater and Gordon since completing his studies at the Australian National University. He practiced in asbestos litigation and commercial litigation, where he specialised on mass financial product mis-selling claims. In 2008, he transferred into the newly reformed Class Actions practice, where he was made Practice Group Leader (Melbourne) in 2010, and National Practice Group Leader (Australia) in 2013.
- In 2016, Ben was appointed Head of Class Actions and Group Litigation (Australia and UK), adding daily responsibility for the firm's UK Group Litigation to his role.
- Bachelor of Arts, Australian National University
- Bachelor of Laws (Hons), Australian National University
- Graduate Diploma in Legal Studies, University of Melbourne
- Law Institute of Victoria
- Australian Lawyers Alliance