Back to Our Experts
Amanda McAlisterJoint Head of Family Law
Amanda is a practice group leader of family law at Slater and Gordon in Manchester and London.
She heads a team of expert lawyers who are dedicated to providing clients with clear, straightforward advice and a professional pro-active service.
Amanda specialises in all aspects of family law including divorce and dissolution of civil partnerships in particular complex financial settlements on divorce; including those involving businesses, trusts, pensions and foreign property. She has extensive knowledge of co-habitation disputes and advises on separation and pre and post nuptial agreements. Amanda is an experienced advocate and when in the court arena she "fights fearlessly to protect her clients’ interests".
She has acted for a number of leading figures in the world of sport, entertainment and media and also members of the Legal Profession, Home Office and National Police Force. She has also represented professional men and women from the North West, Midlands and London regions. Much of her work emanates from recommendations from former clients.
Amanda regularly writes articles for several national and regional magazines and newspapers, and lectures on family law issues as well as being a regular commentator on BBC Manchester. Alongside this, Amanda is a divorce expert for The Huffington Post.
Amanda is a trustee of Beechwood Cancer Centre in South Manchester and is also a member of Manchester Law Society Council. She is also a Resolution accredited specialist.
Commendations from legal directories
- Chambers and Partners 2016: Amanda is a "very experienced team leader."
- The Legal 500 2015 states that Amanda McAlister is "an excellent team leader"
- Chambers and Partners 2014: Amanda McAlister is renowned for her client care and her expertise in significant and complex financial proceedings, often with international implications. One client commended her highly: "Her knowledge, experience, consideration and general approach to the whole thing have all really impressed me."
- Chambers & Partners 2013 legal directory states that "Clients say that Key Individual Amanda McAlister's "communication always puts me at ease - a lovely manner but also professional." She heads the national family team at the firm, and she specialises in complex divorce proceedings, often involving multi-jurisdictional issues and complex assets"
- The Legal 500 2012 states that "Slater and Gordon Lawyers’ department head Amanda McAlister is at the ‘top of her profession’. The team attracts high-profile clients in the areas of divorce and ancillary relief, and has invested in mediation services"
- Legal 500 define Amanda as a leading expert in Family Law who specialises in complex divorce and ancillary relief matters. According to legal directory Chambers & Partners 2012, her recent work has featured a variety of cross-jurisdictional issues, with one source stating she "really understands the issues and provides appropriate advice which is perfectly timed."
- Resolution Accredited Specialist
Recent Testimonials for Amanda McAlister
“I was involved in acrimonious divorce proceedings for over 12 months using a solicitor that claimed to be an expert in divorce, progress was slow and, the other side appeared to have every advantage and I was becoming increasingly concerned. Amanda was then recommended, and immediately upon meeting her she was a breath of fresh air. Amanda understood all of the issues from the very beginning, and provided realistic well explained advice from the outset. Throughout she was always approachable and efficient and is supported by excellent support staff. Amanda is an expert in her field, I could not have had better service and I recommend her without hesitation.”
Mr Taylor, Cheshire Police Federation member, May 2015
“Thank you for your swift and efficient attention to the divorce - we both really appreciate it.”
Read All Slater & Gordon Testimonials
“Very impressed with my solicitor, Amanda McAlister.”